When you put over 1.3 billion people in one country (that’s nearly 20 per cent of the world’s population), they’re bound to come up with something interesting. Sure, the Great Wall was a bit of a breakthrough, but today the county’s brightest are inventing everything from the incredible to the downright useless. Here are some of our favourite inventions out of China.
1. Yu Jietao put his wood carving skills to work and invested over $20,000 to create this ornate wooden vehicle. Might have to install a new engine though, it only travels up to 30km/h.
2. Keeping with the theme, He Liang opted for a cheaper alternative and turned a suitcase into a motor-powered car. It falls short of the wooden car’s top speed though, travelling at only 20km/h. It also took a decade to create.
3. The top speed award goes to the students at Hunan University in Changsha who made this fuel-efficient car that travels at 60km/h and can go 100km in distance on a single litre of gas.
4. The real question is: why build a car when you can build a sphere container that can house three people and enough food for 10 months? That’s what Yang Zongfu spent two years doing. He called it Noah’s Ark of China. Perhaps he knows something we don’t.
5. Here’s an example of the new working together with the old: local farmer Wu Yulu started building robots in the ‘80s. In 2009, he built one that could pull his rickshaw.
Source: Business Insider
6. Joining the ‘best vehicle in the world’ debate is Li Yongli, who designed this eye-catching unicycle.
Source: Totally Cool Pix
7. These Buddha Pears, for sale at a Beijing supermarket, are as adorable as they are pointless. #wouldbuy
8. Moved by his grandmother’s struggle to complete daily tasks, Chen Gongke invented a helmet-style machine that can wash and dry hair in five minutes.
9. This kid-sized Lamborghini may have cost over $1000 to make, but it’s a fraction of the cost of the real thing. Built by farmer Guo, it took six months to gather the metal scraps that form the replica. It can travel at almost 60km/h when charged.